Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 26, 2015

Easy, Yummy Choco-banana bites, 3 ingredients

Have you ever had a bunch of ripe bananas just sit on your counter and just cringe?  Really?  A day ago, these beautiful bananas where nice and yellow, everyone seemed to eat them up as soon as you placed them on the counter; now all of a sudden, here they are.....just black, ripe and just waiting for the fruit "gnats" or whatever they're called to show up and embarrass you in front of guests!
Well, I had to find a solution for these bananas and fast.  First, there's nothing wrong with them when the skin turns brown or black, they're just ripe and great for cooking and baking them into some awesome recipes.   Second, why should I waste them and the money I used to pay for them?!  Heck, it's hard enough to come by spare change let alone just toss it these days.  Last, it's great way to teach the kiddos not to waste food and appreciate what they have and re-purpose even foods!  Get the imagination going!!!  
So, from so many ripe bananas just sitting on the counter, I had to come up with something healthy but yummy enough that the kids would actually eat.  I searched the web and found some ideas but my kids didn't prefer most if it was uber "healthy".  Heck, it's gotta taste good right?  So, I improvised and altered or added my own ingredients to finally come up with the right mix that my kids and I love!
1.  Bananas should be nice and ripe.  The riper they are , the more naturally sweet, hence, no need for sugar or sweeteners.   Mash the bananas in a bowl.  If your kids are really texture sensitive, mash till about a purée consistency.
2.  Add 1 or 2 teaspoonful of Nutella® spread to your mashed bananas. Blend well.
3.  Add 1.5 cups Rolled Oats.  Mix well.  Add more oats if mixture seems soupy or loose.
4.  Place in cool area or I fridge for 30-60 Minutes let mixture firm.
5.  Drop by spoonful onto cookie sheet or foil.  If using muffin pan, likely fill to top as these will not "grow".
6. Place in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
7. Let cool....but these are best served warm!
What you'll need:
3-4 large bananas
rolled oats (not instant oatmeal or steal cut oats; Quaker™ rolled or store brand)
Nutella *(contains hazelnuts), 1-2 teaspoonful to your liking but super ripe bananas need less sugary sweet stuff
OR your favorite cocoa powder to taste
AVIOD if you have a nut allergy **(Nutella contains hazelnuts)
Non-stick cookie sheet, mini-muffin pan or just tin foil will work
Variations: you can add what you like, be creative.  These are a few we liked.
-add 2 wafers of crumbled gram crackers.  The graham crackers may make the bites firmer so don't add to many.  Besides, these are to be somewhat simple in ingredients and taste.
-try 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips or -bits of Hershey's plain chocolate bar
-unsweetened, shredded coconut.
I tried adding peanut butter but the taste was just off, so I don't advise this variation but you may want to add your own homemade variety.
Regardless, if you add ingredients or even omit the Nutella, it's still a great tasting snack.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment